Sunday, June 6, 2010

2 months with the N900

It's been about 2 months since I bought the Nokia N900 Smartphone/Tablet. Just updated to firmware PR1.2 a week ago over wifi & it went smoothly, nothing except for a couple of settings were lost.

The main reason for me getting this device was so that I could remove the need to carry around a Linux netbook wherever I go. In this respect the N900 really exceeded my expectations on what I could do with it. I expected to still need my netbooks in some cases such as when I'm traveling on business. But as it turns out, I've not used my netbooks AT ALL this past 2 months. So it looks like I might be selling them off soon.

Today I'll list some of the apps that I use regularly on my N900. I'll only mentions apps that are not pre-installed on the device. So here it is in no particular order:
  • Storage Usage: Shows usage of the various storage devices and even lets you deep dive to find out which folder/app is consuming the space.
  • Panucci: An excellent audiobook/podcast player with great bookmarking features. (Love the pizza icon)
  • GPSJinni: A app for monitoring GPS signals, it's very useful for getting a lock before starting your map application.
  • WifiEye: An app to visualize the Wifi signals in an area. It's great as a site survey tool for deciding where to put an access point & which channel to use.
  • Sygic Mobile Maps: A commercial in-car navigation app. It's car friendly interface makes it miles better than Ovi Maps. It's pricey, but it's quality. Incidentally, the Ovi Maps on the N900 does not support turn-by-turn navigation.
  • Ncalc: A calculator app with a simple UI that makes more sense to me than the built-in one.
  • Password Safe: An app for securely storing all your user names & passwords. Indispensable these days.
  • fMMS: A must have if you want to send/receive MMS. Although I don't use it often, I do want to be able to receive MMS.
  • MGutenberg: Lets you browse, download & read ebooks from Project Gutenburg. It also works very well generally as an ebook reader.
  • CBRpager: Comic book reader. Cuz I read alotta comic books.
  • MussOrgsky: A meta-data editor for your music collection. It lets you edit album/artist/title and even the album art for your music.
  • zoutube: A pretty sweet YouTube client. Even though you could watch YouTube videos right in the browser, using this app the video is fullscreen, plays very smoothly and even allows you to download the video.
Well, that's enough for today. What I've listed is only a fraction of the apps I have installed, but are the ones I use more regularly. Next time I'll get into the games.

1 comment:

Chemal said...

wooooooow interesting article. thanks for sharing.hey are you looking for Renter or Rent a Bedroom. then this is it go to this site http://www.rentabedroom.info and decide for your own. thank you.