Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Mandriva 2009.1 - Smoothing things out

I posted last time that I went back to using Kwin effects with the UXA workaround for xorg. However, I have since switched back to using compiz with EXA instead. Why?

Because Kwin with UXA was causing performance issues. The CPU usage of Kwin will hover at around 30-40% all the time, this was sucking the battery dry & causing my laptop to heat-up. Kwin with EXA is still the same, it will freeze 2-3 times a day. Compiz won't run at all with UXA, so I had to go back to EXA to use compiz.

So far compiz is performing very well. CPU usage is low, video playback is smooth and battery life is acceptable. The IaOra theme is still broken, the titlebar still dissapears, so I'll be using Ozone for while.

1 comment:

Ter said...

No I didn't have issues with EXA. But I have read about this 'greedy' option, I tried it, it made no difference.
Everyone seems to be facing slightly different problems with the intel driver, so it's great that the option works for you.
Let's hope this problem is fixed by the next release.