Saturday, June 14, 2008

How's Mandy so far?

Been running Mandriva 2008.1 Spring Free for well over a month now, there have been many updates coming through rpmdrake. Most of the obvious bugs were ironed out by the 2nd week, so things are looking good. Here are some random observations:
- I figured out how to disable the annoying meta file download in rpmdrake.
- I found out that compiz works much better with EXA rather then XAA on my intel chip.
- I discovered that Flashplayer will crash Firefox every 2nd youtube video I watched. I later found out this is because Flashplayer 9 is not playing nice with PulseAudio. I have since disabled PulseAudio so I can watch youtube. I'm a freedom hater. I know.

I've had very little chance to hack around & get to know this new Mandriva release. This is in part because of my current work schedule, but it's also because Mandriva & Linux in general has matured to a stage where it almost requires no hacking to make everything work well. Linux is getting to a stage where it could almost just get out the way & let you use the computer. I feel as if a tipping point is near & I'm almost afraid to see what's over the horizon...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

Do you any computer shops in penang selling a desktop that is compatitable with Linux especially SUSE? Currently I'm installing in my old laptop with SUSE, i love it..

I know that i can get a list of hardware that are compactiablt with linux, but this will be very
time consuming. Would love to buy a desktop that already have linux installed in it...

Many Thanks,
Ray

Ter said...

No such luck in Penang. Most shops have little idea what Linux is.

I'd suggest going over to dell.com the US website, configure yourself a nice Ubuntu system, copy down the spec sheet & try to buy the exact spec locally by calling their toll free.

This way at least we know the hardware will sure run Ubuntu, so SUSE shouldn't be too much trouble.