Tuesday, August 28, 2007

That blasted Toshiba

Last night the Toshiba decided to go ape shit on me. After I messed around with the acpi setting in /proc I've discovered that I can control the brightness of the LCD through:
/proc/acpi/video/VGA_EGEP/LCD/brightness
and also
/proc/acpi/video/GFX0_PCI0/LCD/brightness

Somehow, these 2 settings both work for setting the brightness, but changing 1 file doesn't reflect in the other. I changed 1 file & rebooted.

On reboot, the system froze at the BIOS with a helpful error on the top left that says "TBX error".

For the next 2 hours I couldn't revive the system. I almost disassembled the machine.
After leaving it alone for a while. I tried again. This time, it booted up & I was able to get into the BIOS. But the HDD was not detected, I reseated the HDD & tried again, "TBX error" again.

I removed the HDD & tried, still "TBX error". Some research revealed that TBX error comes from the TPM system that checks the Hardware Integrity. But whatever I tried, I can either bootup with the HDD not detected or it will freeze at BIOS with "TBX error". I thought it was royally screwed. I was getting ready to call Toshiba & make up a story about what happened.

The next morning, suddenly the system worked fine again. Like last night never happened. WTF!!!

No comments: